The COVID-19 pandemic has put all of us in quarantine and there’s no denying that staying indoors is the best step towards prevention and safety. But a lot of us are missing our favourite restaurants, while many of us love or depend on online food deliveries. So if you’re thinking of ordering in, here’s what you should know about how safe your food is and what you can do to make it even safer.
Foodies will be happy to know that there is currently no evidence that suggests that the coronavirus can be transmitted through food. This means that well cooked food is safe. Also, many delivery brands have now enforced additional safety and hygiene measures and are taking necessary precautions while handling food packages.
While they take some measures at their end, you should take a few safety steps at your end too:
- Avoid direct hand-to-hand contact with the delivery executive.
- If the delivery brand offers a no-contact delivery option, make sure you don’t miss out on it.
- Try to avoid cash on delivery options and pay online to prevent any direct contact with the delivery executive while receiving your products.
- When you receive your food, transfer the food into your container at home and dispose of the packaging.
- Heat the food in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, and then dig in and enjoy your meal